Friday, August 19, 2016

MY WORLD


Cyndi Thomson was born on October 19, 1976 in Tifton, Georgia.  She released her debut album MY WORLD in 2001 on Capitol Records.  She co-wrote 8 of the 11 songs on it.  The album was produced by Paul Worley and Tommy Lee James.  In the liner notes, Cyndi writes: “I hope this album transports you to a place you’ve never been, a place that allows you to escape everything around you.  If you’ve never been to Georgia then get ready to take a trip.  These songs are about my life.  And I’m so blessed to be able to share them with you.  Welcome to MY World”.

Starting things off is the title track, ‘My World’.  It has an inquisitive chorus directed at a guy visiting her small town: “What’s it like in your world baby?/Won’t you let me in?/What’s it like in your world baby?/Maybe our worlds can meet again”.  Cyndi, Tommy Lee James, and Jennifer Kimball wrote ‘I Always Liked that Best’, one of my all time favorite country ballads.  It is highly sentimental: “Where do I start?/Lying on a blanket underneath the stars/With your head on my chest/I always liked that best/I hate how time flies/I still think back sometimes/’Bout your lips on my neck/I always liked that best/That time we took a ride/Ended up down by the river side/Soft touch, wet kiss/I always liked that best”.  ‘What I Really Meant to Say’ was the album’s debut single.  It hit #1 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles and Tracks chart.  John Mock plays the penny whistle on it.  The song tells a moving story: “It took me by surprise/When I saw you standing there/Close enough to touch, breathing the same air/You asked me how I’d been/I guess that’s when I smiled and said ‘Just fine’/Oh, but baby I was lying/What I really meant to say/Is ‘I’m dying here inside/I miss you more each day/There’s not a night I haven’t cried/And baby here’s the truth/I’m still in love with you’/That’s what I really meant to say”.

‘Things I Would Do’ is a playful, upbeat country tune: “Things I would do just to have you back again/I’d single-handedly prove to you that I can/Fight for you, cry for you/I’d live and die for you/These are just some of the things I would do/If looks could kill, I’d be shooting blanks/Stop stirring the stew, start giving thanks/Stop spinning my wheels, apologize/Bite my tongue, swallow my pride/Take it back, compromise/Just shut up, I’ll shut up”.  ‘If You Could Only See’ is a quiet song of encouragement: “You come home uncompleted, down and defeated/Feeling all alone/You think your dreams are passing by you/And deep down inside you/You’re running out of hope/If you could only see what I see/You’d see the man that you wish you could be/If you could only see what I see in you”.

Kim Richey and Chuck Prophet wrote ‘I’m Gone’.  It is a country/rock song in the vein of Sheryl Crow.  It’s about a gal who’s had enough of a guy: “I’m gone and I’m taking all my good stuff/Gone, gone/You’ll never get it back/I’m gone, gone/Been a long time coming/Bet you’re gonna miss me/Bet you’re gonna miss me bad.../Hey you/Yeah, you there with that smug look smeared across your face/That’s right/I’ve got better things to do than hang around this place”.  ‘If You Were Mine’ is a passionate country ballad that finds Cyndi daydreaming: “If you were mine I would celebrate like every day was Christmas/If you were mine I would love you like it’s nobody’s business/I would give everything I had/I would treat you right, I would make you laugh/Baby I would smile forever if you were mine/If you were mine baby/Every night would be a romance novel/If you were mine I would quench your thirst like a tall glass of water/You would be my one desire/I would kiss you like a house on fire/Baby I would burn like crazy/If you were mine (3X)”.

‘Hope You’re Doing Fine’ is a nice story song: “Well, I found a job/It’s nothing much, but at least it pays the rent/The boss is nice, but not his wife, but she only works weekends/How are things in Charleston?/Is there someone in your life?/Guess I should ask/I hope you’re doing fine/We were making plans together not so long ago/Thought we could see forever from that Carolina coast/But things change/Everything changes”.  ‘There Goes the Boy’ is a short song of romantic longings: “There goes the boy who made me smile/Danced with me down the grocery aisle/I taught him how to dress in style/His kisses always drove me wild/There goes the boy/And I’d give anything to hold him again/Cause it still breaks my heart each time when he walks by my window, oh no/There goes the girl walking by his side/He’s holding her hand just like he used to hold mine”.  Odie Blackmon and Jay Knowles wrote the song.

‘But I Want To’ is a country/pop song of boldness: “I haven’t met you but I want to/I haven’t kissed you but I need to/I don’t know you/But I want to, yeah I want to/Please forgive me, I know this is kind of strange/To stop you here out of the blue asking your name/But I couldn’t let another day go by being strangers”.  Of the closing song ‘I’ll Be Seeing You’, Cyndi says: “This is my favourite song on the album.  It’s completely from my heart.  Every time I hear this song I cry”.  Here are some of the moving lyrics: “I’ll be seeing you/When I close my eyes/I’ll be seeing you/I’ve got you memorized/I’ll always love you/I know you know that/And I know in my heart/That you’re not coming back/And in everything I do/I’ll be seeing you”.

MY WORLD clocks in at 35 minutes and 39 seconds.  If you enjoy the music of Sara Evans and Trisha Yearwood, you’ll enjoy this lovely debut record from Cyndi Thomson.  Cyndi comes across as a girl next door type who misses lost loves and has a few regrets.  She also though, dreams of finding love again, that special someone, if you will.  The songs are very relatable.  Without using an abundance of words in her songs, she is able to convey very personal emotions to her listeners.  Musicians used on the album include: Steve Nathan, Greg Morrow, Dan Dugmore,  Randy Scruggs, and The Nashville String Machine.  I’m rating MY WORLD 90%.  For more info visit: www.cyndithomson.com.