Monday, January 13, 2014

TIME FOR THE SHOW


Kerrie Roberts was born on January 1, 1985.  She began singing at age five in her mother's church choir.  Later she would play piano and lead worship at church.  While she was in high school she started writing her own songs.  She has a degree in studio music and jazz vocal.  After school she toured as a background singer for the one and only Englebert Humperdinck.  Kerrie put out her self-titled debut album in August 2010.  Songs from it such as 'No Matter What' and 'Outcast' got CCM airplay.  Her latest project is TIME FOR THE SHOW (2013, Reunion Records).

The first cut is the title track which is a dance number penned by Roberts, Stephanie Lewis, and David Garcia.  It reminds believers of their identity and purpose: "You are the light of the world/A city on a hill that can't be hidden/You are the salt of the earth/Glorify your Father in Heaven/A billion tiny flames breaking through the dark/Show His love/Show His mercy/Show His heart".  'Sing' is a cool dance number that finds Kerrie very excited about her faith: "No, I won't be quiet/I'll sing and shout/I cannot be silent/You put the music in my heart/It's screaming out/I feel like jumping/Feel like dancing for You now/And sing out loud/No, I won't be quiet/I won't be silent, no".

'What are you afraid Of' is a bouncy pop song, but lyrically lists various things ladies may fear: "Being compared to the girl who has everything/Not living up when the whole world's watching/Being the last to get there and the last to know/You scream at the top of your lungs/When no one's listening/Being a basket case over anything/Giving your whole world for love/And the boy says no".  The pretty ballad 'Finally Home' is the album's first single and was written by Roberts, Rob Graves, Chris Flury, and Alex Nicefor.  It expresses a longing for Heaven: "I'm reminded again and again/I live in this world as a stranger and/As good as it's been/Or as bad as it gets/It all will end/I want to stand where hope and faith and love/All meet in one face/Oh, I wanna be where I can see/What I believe now.../The ultimate healing/Where hurt can't reach me/I won't need to find every answer/All I need will be found within Your presence".

'Middle of it All' is another great ballad, this time penned by Roberts, Stephanie Lewis, and Rusty Varenkamp.  It could be a theme song for the Salvation Army: "I want to be the one who stands in the fray/I want to take a chance so I can say/I'm coming through, gonna get my hands dirty/On the journey here with You/I want to remember those forgotten by the world/I want to be the words for those unheard/And I'll follow You into the hardest places.../No, I won't hide behind the safety of the city walls".  'Masterpiece' is a real self-confidence booster: "You're a masterpiece (beautiful, colorful)/Even if you don't believe/You're forgiven so (wonderful, loveable)/Everything you need to be/Cause when I look at you I see/You're a masterpiece".

'Not Real Yet' is a great song that finds Kerrie in a fragile state emotionally and spiritually: "Say that You love me/Tell me You won't leave/I wanna believe it, hear it, I'm listening/Wish I could see You/Get close and touch You/Lord, I need You here, please remind me/Help me feel it, it's not real yet/It's not real yet".  'In Your Sight' uses guitars, violins, violas, cellos, bass, and French horn.  It is a ballad that I could hear Carrie Underwood doing.  Here are some of the quite conversational lyrics: "I'm through with my emotions always guiding me/They take me places I don't want to be/So far from You/And I've lived in fear of failing/But that's just my pride/And I know it's not about me/Cause I've given You my life.../Where could I go?/What could I do?/There's no place I know/Apart from You".

'Wake Up' is a catchy pop song written by Roberts, Matt Bronleewe, and Tony Wood.  It urges us to make the most of our time on earth: "Sun coming up far too soon/First cup of coffee at the crack of noon/I'm moving so slowly/Never know what's coming around/Hit the ground running or just fall down/I've got to get going/Don't wanna live so casually/And miss the life You have for me/It's time to wake up".  Dave Stovall plays piano on the closing number 'Like Jesus Loves'.  Also used are guitars, violins, violas, cellos, bass, and French horn.  The song extols Christ: "No road was too lonely/No cost too great/No distance too far for the reach of His grace/All He left behind, all He sacrificed/For every soul throughout all time/Nobody loves like Jesus loves, like Jesus loves.../Come to Him, all who are broken/Come to Him, all who are searching.../I want to love like Jesus loves".

In the CD booklet Kerrie quotes Psalm 30:12 which says: "That my heart may sing to You and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give You thanks forever".  Kerrie's faith message and contemporary pop sounds are contagious.  This is certainly an uplifting collection of songs!  Fans of Natalie Grant, Britt Nicole, and Mandisa should get this record.  Musically, at times it seems directed at teens, and at other times reaches for a young adult audience.  I'm rating TIME FOR THE SHOW 88%.  For more info visit: www.kerrieroberts.com and www.providentpress.com.